| Q PROGRAMME | Q APPLICATION | COMMERCIAL GUIDELINES | PORTRAIT GUIDELINES | WEDDING GUIDELINES |
| WORKSHOPS | SUBMISSION DATES | SUBMISSION OVERVIEW | BUSINESS REQUIREMENTS |
The assessment is carried out anonymously. Applicants are asked to provide a random four digit pin number with their application form to ensure confidentiality of the submission. The panel will preferably consist of 5 judges, but no less than 3 at any Q Assesment. In addition, at least 60% of the panel should be made up of Associates, Masters, or Fellows of the Institute.
Your Q submission will be assessed on the following criteria: (NB: the panel is looking for a competent standard of work – not award winning images).
- Presentation: encompasses the first impression of the submission (this is less important for a commercial submission).
- Composition, Positioning and Lighting. Needs to demonstrate the applicant’s thorough understanding of all of these elements.
- Print control and image quality (print) or exposure accuracy/control for commercial submissions of transparencies. Well exposed and well printed images.
- Creativity, style, expression and emotion where appropriate. The applicant should show a variety of creative knowledge and skills.
- Finally the question, how the judges feel overall is: “Would I send a friend, relative, or colleague to this photographer?”
- For Commercial and Portrait Submissions - 10 prints out of the 12 submitted must achieve a Q professional standard pass to achieve the qualification.
- For Wedding Submissions - both albums must achieve a Q professional standard pass to achieve the qualification.
Applicants will be notified by phone or email whether they have passed or have been unsuccessful within 10 working days of the panel meeting. A written evaluation will be sent to the applicant. The evaluation is intended to be constructive. If the submission was unsuccessful, recommendations from the judging panel will go to the applicant.
Please refer to the Commercial, Portrait, or Wedding Guidelines for an overview of submission requirements.