NZIPP Membership is through qualification by submission as outlined in the rules of the Institute or through holding a tertiary qualification recognised by the NZIPP Board or having similar membership status in the Australian Institute of Professional Photography or similar professional photographic organisation. Where there is more than one partner in a business any subsequent persons in the business are entitled to a 50% reduction in the professional subscription rate. All new member applications must be accompanied by a signed Code of Ethics declaration before being processed. The following provides details of the different membership types:
- ACCREDITED PROFESSIONAL MEMBER: To be eligible for Accredited Professional Membership, persons must meet all of the following requirements:
- a) They must have been earning an income in the professional photographic industry for at least 2 years.
- b) They must have achieved one successful Q, and maintain this every 4 years.
- c) They must meet the Continuing Professional Development Requirements (CPD) annually.
Such members are entitled to advertise their membership of the Institute, having speaking and voting rights and are eligible to stand for office.
As of 1 April 2015, anyone who is currently a Professional (Qualified) Member will be referred to as an “Accredited Professional Member” and retain access to all applicable NZIPP logos and branding – You don’t need to do anything!
- MEMBER: Persons who have been a Provisional Member of the Institute for 2 years or more, and who do not meet the requirements for Accredited Professional Membership. They will have speaking rights but not voting rights and may not hold any office. A Member becomes an Accredited Professional Member once they have met the qualification and CPD requirements.
As of 1 April 2015 anyone that has been a Provisional Member of the Institute for more than 2 years will be referred to as a “Member” until such time as they meet the requirements for Accredited Professional Membership.
- PROVISIONAL MEMBER: Persons earning an income in the professional photographic industry may apply to be Provisional Member. Provisional Members have speaking but not voting rights and may not hold any office. A Provisional Member becomes an Accredited Professional Member once they have met the qualification and CPD requirements.
It is important to note that you can only remain a Provisional Member for up to 2 years. If during this time you do not meet the requirements for Accredited Professional Membership you will automatically fall into the Member category.
- EMERGING MEMBER: Membership type no longer available.
As of 1 April 2015 anyone that has been an Emerging Member of the Institute will be referred to as a “Provisional” member.
- STUDENT MEMBER: Students attending a recognised tertiary institution, teaching professional photography and/or related programs, may apply to be a Student Member for the period of their course and no more than 5 years. Student Members have speaking rights but not voting rights.
- EDUCATION PROVIDER MEMBER: This membership is for learning institutions providing photographic education and would provide recognition of student membership in the Institution, most noticeably by supplying copies of the NZIPP ProReport. The fee for this membership is 150% of the Accredited Professional Member subscription. All correspondence and other communication is with the institution concerned who may nominate a contact person. This membership covers the students only and one main contact person. Tutors are encouraged to become members, but can otherwise attend meetings if an additional regional levy is paid.
- CORPORATE MEMBER: Any trade house that wishes to show support for the Institute may apply to be a corporate member. Corporate members shall nominate a person to represent them. Such representatives have speaking but no voting rights and may not hold any office in the Institute.
- RETIRED MEMBER: Any Accredited Professional member who has been a member for not less than 10 years and is no longer actively engaged in professional photography may apply to become a retired member. A Retired member will have speaking and voting rights.
- OVERSEAS MEMBER: Any Accredited Professional member who resides overseas or any such person who would meet such criteria if a resident in New Zealand may apply for overseas membership. The subscription payable for any overseas member shall not be less than 50% of the current rate for an Accredited Professional member.
- HONORARY MEMBER: Any person who, in the opinion of the NZIPP Board, has made a distinguished contribution in any of the aesthetic, technical, organisational or productive aspects of photography and who has been a material assistance to the Institute or the profession of photography may be invited to become an Honorary member. Such a person would be elected to membership by the NZIPP Board on the recommendation of the NZIPP Honours Council. They would be able to participate in NZIPP activities and have speaking rights but shall not have voting rights nor hold any office nor pay any subscription.
- LIFE MEMBERSHIP: This may be awarded by the NZIPP Board on the recommendation of the NZIPP Honours Council to a member who within a period of at least twenty years membership has actively served and promoted the Institute.