Membership is through qualification by submission as outlined in the rules of the Institute or through holding a tertiary qualification recognised by the NZIPP Board or having similar membership status in the Australian Institute of Professional Photography or similar professional photographic organisation. Where there is more than one partner in a business any subsequent persons in the business are entitled to a 50% reduction in the professional subscription rate. All Professional, Provisional, Employee, and Emerging member applications must be accompanied by a signed Code of Ethics declaration before being processed.
Professional Members: Persons who earn an income in the professional photographic industry may apply to be a professional member of the Institute. Such members are entitled to advertise their membership of the Institute, have speaking and voting rights and are eligible to stand for office having gained their ‘Q’ Certificate.
- Professional Employee Member: Persons employed in the industry who are not a shareholder or partner in the company or firm in which they are employed may apply to be a professional employee member. Professional employee members have the same rights of membership and requirements of qualification as Professional Members but pay a reduced subscription.
- Provisional Member: Persons earning an income in the professional photographic industry may apply to be a provisional member. A provisional member has no voting rights and may not hold any office or advertise their membership of the Institute in any way. A Provisional becomes a Professional Member through qualification (‘Q’ Certificate) as outlined in the By-laws of the Institute.
- Student Member: Students attending a recognised tertiary institution teaching professional photography and/or related programs may apply to be a student member for the period of their course and no more than 5 years. Student members have speaking rights but otherwise have the same limitations on membership as Provisional members.
- Emerging Member: Students who have graduated from a recognised tertiary institution teaching professional photography and/or related programs may apply to be an Emerging member for one year on completion of their course. Emerging members have speaking rights but otherwise have the same limitations on membership as Provisional members.
- Corporate Member: Any trade house that wishes to show support for the Institute may apply to be a corporate member. Corporate members shall nominate a person to represent them. Such representatives have speaking but no voting rights and may not hold any office in the Institute.
- Retired Member: Any Professional or Professional Employee member who has been a member for not less than 10 years and is no longer actively engaged in professional photography may apply to become a retired member.
Overseas Member: Any Professional or Professional Employee member who resides overseas or any such person who would meet such criteria if a resident in New Zealand may apply for overseas membership. The subscription payable for any overseas member shall not be less than 50% of the current rate for a Professional member.